STRATOS, the Canadian Space Agency's (CSA) stratospheric balloon program, was created in 2012 through the CSA's collaboration with France's space agency, Centre national d'études spatiales. This program gives Canadian academia and industry the opportunity to test and validate new technologies and to perform scientific experiments at an altitude where only balloons can be operated. STRATOS therefore contributes to the training and development of a highly qualified workforce: the next generation of Canadian engineers and scientists.
Since 2013, as part of STRATOS:
- 20 balloons have been launched
- 24 Canadian instruments/experiments have been flown
- More than 100 Canadian scientists have participated
In addition, 80 students have been involved in the last three campaigns (2015-2017).
The Canadian space industry and academia will be part of a stratospheric balloon launch campaign over the next year. The 2018 campaign will take place at the Timmins Stratospheric Balloon Base in Ontario, Canada.
- Four balloons will be launched
- Seven Canadian scientific payloads will be flown, including two payloads developed by post-secondary students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
- Two gondola subsystems will be commissioned
Details about the payloads and objectives of the mission will be available soon.
- Date modified: